T-Forum, la vera HiFi alla portata di tutti
Benvenuto nel T-Forum!
Connettiti in modo da farti riconoscere come membro affezionato, oppure registrati così potrai partecipare attivamente alle discussioni.

Unisciti al forum, è facile e veloce

Benvenuto nel T-Forum!
Connettiti in modo da farti riconoscere come membro affezionato, oppure registrati così potrai partecipare attivamente alle discussioni.
Vuoi reagire a questo messaggio? Crea un account in pochi click o accedi per continuare.

I DAC di John Kenny

+28
Biagio De Simone
sandr77
realmassy
Verbal72
mauz
kurt10
wasky
MaurArte
schwantz34
MDT360
pallapippo
Solomon
Edmond Dantes
nicommush
florin
Stentor
jkeny
bartman
adicenter
vastx
donluca
fenriz
flovato
Metallar0
Menestrello
lorenzo mordini
grunter
Alessio Zenga
32 partecipanti

Pagina 16 di 17 Precedente  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Successivo

Andare in basso

I DAC di John Kenny - Pagina 16 Empty Re: I DAC di John Kenny

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 15:58

grunter ha scritto:Volevo segnalare la prossima recensione da parte di John Darko del mio beneamato jkdac32:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/forthcoming-reviews/item/348-john-kenny-jkdac32-pcm5102-%20-lifepo4

Sono curioso perchè in genere mi ritrovo abbastanza in quello che dice, vediamo come andrà questa volta.
Yes Grunter & a review is also soon to appear in 6Moons & enjoythemusic

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Numero di messaggi : 46
Impianto : JKDAC/JKDAC32, Naksa amplifier, Jordan JX92S speakers

Torna in alto Andare in basso

Messaggio Da wasky Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 16:09

grunter ha scritto:Volevo segnalare la prossima recensione da parte di John Darko del mio beneamato jkdac32:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/forthcoming-reviews/item/348-john-kenny-jkdac32-pcm5102-%20-lifepo4

Sono curioso perchè in genere mi ritrovo abbastanza in quello che dice, vediamo come andrà questa volta.

Hai chiesto poi a Yulian quel consiglio che ti ho dato a Roma ?

Il Vecchietto e il piccolino Laughing for Mr JK. The little old and u Little in my Room of Toys Laughing

I DAC di John Kenny - Pagina 16 419393_309902669063439_2071603684_n

Moderatore di sezione
Moderatore di sezione

Numero di messaggi : 9229
Provincia : Come il fiore del ciliegio è il migliore tra i fiori, così, il guerriero è il migliore tra gli uomini
Occupazione/Hobby : Fancazzista Serio
Impianto : Amplifon

http://www.kitaudiopro.com

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 16:50

BTW, you might be interested in a new discovery which improves the sound - see here https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home-1/announcements/improvingusb

And see here for some impressions http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/our-administrators-invited-for-opinion-1e-usb-cable-or-150-e/

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da wasky Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 17:55

I use Them Wink

http://www.bitaudioworld.it/forum/content.php?r=177-Recensione-Neutral-Cable-USB-Cable

Moderatore di sezione
Moderatore di sezione

Numero di messaggi : 9229
Provincia : Come il fiore del ciliegio è il migliore tra i fiori, così, il guerriero è il migliore tra gli uomini
Occupazione/Hobby : Fancazzista Serio
Impianto : Amplifon

http://www.kitaudiopro.com

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 18:07

Clap BTW, on what USB device do you use the fixed connector? What are your impressions of the sound Vs a USB cable?
"The best cable is NO cable" Smile

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 18:59

I think the importance of cable length is secondary as long as you stay around 1.5m or less. What can make a difference is that VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-. Did you try Lacie USB Flatcable 1.2m? It costs around 5 euros and beats my 20 euros Lindy Gold USB OFC cable 0.5m... the reason is that in Lacie the VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-...

-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto: Clap BTW, on what USB device do you use the fixed connector? What are your impressions of the sound Vs a USB cable?
"The best cable is NO cable" Smile
robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Numero di messaggi : 1696
Provincia : Pisa
Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 19:19

robertopisa ha scritto:I think the importance of cable length is secondary as long as you stay around 1.5m or less. What can make a difference is that VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-. Did you try Lacie USB Flatcable 1.2m? It costs around 5 euros and beats my 20 euros Lindy Gold USB OFC cable 0.5m... the reason is that in Lacie the VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-...

-Roberto
No, my devices don't use the VBus (+5V) so it doesn't come into the equation. I agree that the primary difference between most USB cables is how well the D+/D- signal wires are shielded from the currents travelling on the +5V & ground wires but if there are no currents then this shielding doesn't matter.

What I'm talking about is the next improvement after this +5V factor has been taken care of. I used to think that USB cables now all sounded the same based on my experiments with various USB cables I tried. Wirerworld Ultraviolet (it's flat) was recommended in a lot of forums but I heard no difference to a stock non-name USB cable. But enough people still told me that the USB cable made a difference to the sound with my USB devices so I experimented with no USB cable i.e USB connectors. Wow, was my impression!

I'm still investigating this but the shortness of the link does seem to be important? Early days to be coming to any conclusions yet Very Happy

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 20:07

Not sure, certainly the USB cable should not be so relevant as the other cables. Probably the USB tranceivers are low-cost in our computers.

-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto:
robertopisa ha scritto:I think the importance of cable length is secondary as long as you stay around 1.5m or less. What can make a difference is that VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-. Did you try Lacie USB Flatcable 1.2m? It costs around 5 euros and beats my 20 euros Lindy Gold USB OFC cable 0.5m... the reason is that in Lacie the VCC+GND pair is separated from D+/D-...

-Roberto
No, my devices don't use the VBus (+5V) so it doesn't come into the equation. I agree that the primary difference between most USB cables is how well the D+/D- signal wires are shielded from the currents travelling on the +5V & ground wires but if there are no currents then this shielding doesn't matter.

What I'm talking about is the next improvement after this +5V factor has been taken care of. I used to think that USB cables now all sounded the same based on my experiments with various USB cables I tried. Wirerworld Ultraviolet (it's flat) was recommended in a lot of forums but I heard no difference to a stock non-name USB cable. But enough people still told me that the USB cable made a difference to the sound with my USB devices so I experimented with no USB cable i.e USB connectors. Wow, was my impression!

I'm still investigating this but the shortness of the link does seem to be important? Early days to be coming to any conclusions yet Very Happy
robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 20:17

robertopisa ha scritto:Not sure, certainly the USB cable should not be so relevant as the other cables. Probably the USB tranceivers are low-cost in our computers.

-Roberto
I also thought that USB cable shouldn't matter particularly with my USB devices powered from batteries but they do matter & matter just as much as SPDIF cables. But I'm not interested in spending money in a pot luck fashion trying different USB cables to find one that has best "sound" so I bypassed USB cable altogether & others who have also tried it are reporting some interesting results, beating a number of high-priced, well known "audiophile" USB cables - not bad for €10

If you have a USB audio device that is NOT powered from Vbus, then give it a try & report back! Very Happy

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 20:46

I'll try it. I added a Hiface inside a BehringerSRC2496, and used its free 16V to produce regulated 5V for the Hiface. So I also disconnected the 5V (actually reading your early posts on the Hiface :-) I will give a try, even though it costs 10 euros, so more than my cable :-)
-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto:
robertopisa ha scritto:Not sure, certainly the USB cable should not be so relevant as the other cables. Probably the USB tranceivers are low-cost in our computers.

-Roberto
I also thought that USB cable shouldn't matter particularly with my USB devices powered from batteries but they do matter & matter just as much as SPDIF cables. But I'm not interested in spending money in a pot luck fashion trying different USB cables to find one that has best "sound" so I bypassed USB cable altogether & others who have also tried it are reporting some interesting results, beating a number of high-priced, well known "audiophile" USB cables - not bad for €10

If you have a USB audio device that is NOT powered from Vbus, then give it a try & report back! Very Happy
robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 20:58

robertopisa ha scritto:I'll try it. I added a Hiface inside a BehringerSRC2496, and used its free 16V to produce regulated 5V for the Hiface. So I also disconnected the 5V (actually reading your early posts on the Hiface :-) I will give a try, even though it costs 10 euros, so more than my cable :-)
-Roberto

Cool! Just a word of warning - can you turn off the ASRC Upsampling) function in the Behringer? In my experience all ASRCs mask the sonic benefits of low jitter devices like the Hiface (when not powered from Vbus Smile).They are great for high jitter sources like Toslink, etc. & reduce the incoming high jitter on these sources but when fed with a source that has a lower jitter than the ASRC then it adds noise to the source.

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 21:10

I loose 24/192 in this way, but I do not care, since I do not have anything serious at that rate.

I agree with you: usually it is better to have internal clock (so tge SRC2494 acts like a master) and upsample, but with the hiface it sounds better to have "dig in", slaving the SRC2496 to the hiface. Even more, the output in the Hiface is impedance balanced, so I internally connected to the AES/EBU instead to the SPIDF, and it gives more texture to the sound (AES/EBU in teh SRC2496 can also decode the SPDIF format).

-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto:
robertopisa ha scritto:I'll try it. I added a Hiface inside a BehringerSRC2496, and used its free 16V to produce regulated 5V for the Hiface. So I also disconnected the 5V (actually reading your early posts on the Hiface :-) I will give a try, even though it costs 10 euros, so more than my cable :-)
-Roberto

Cool! Just a word of warning - can you turn off the ASRC Upsampling) function in the Behringer? In my experience all ASRCs mask the sonic benefits of low jitter devices like the Hiface (when not powered from Vbus Smile).They are great for high jitter sources like Toslink, etc. & reduce the incoming high jitter on these sources but when fed with a source that has a lower jitter than the ASRC then it adds noise to the source.
robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 21:30

Excellent, you have it all under control Very Happy Look forward to your report on direct USB connection or DUC as it is now being nicknamed.

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 21:32

Unfortunately I checked that since I have other cables near the USB socket, I have to use more than one DUCs... do you think is it still worth trying?
-R

jkeny ha scritto:Excellent, you have it all under control Very Happy Look forward to your report on direct USB connection or DUC as it is now being nicknamed.
robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da jkeny Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 21:35

robertopisa ha scritto:Unfortunately I checked that since I have other cables, I have to use more than one DUCs... do you think is it still worth trying?
-R

Yes, & you can use a swivel type if it helps to orientate the PC to the DAC
I DAC di John Kenny - Pagina 16 31uBHKUmh9L._SL500_AA300_

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da robertopisa Mar 27 Mar 2012 - 21:38

Thanks for helping
-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto:
robertopisa ha scritto:Unfortunately I checked that since I have other cables, I have to use more than one DUCs... do you think is it still worth trying?
-R

robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere:

Messaggio Da grunter Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 4:24

Thank you John, I'll give the usb adapter a try with my laptop.
Recently, cause I put the dac and other electronics far from my pc, I've replaced my 1.5m generic usb cable with a 3m Lyndy Usb Gold and I haven't noticed sound differences.
grunter
grunter
Membro classe argento
Membro classe argento

Numero di messaggi : 3935
Provincia : PT
Occupazione/Hobby : Informatica e Fotografia
Impianto :
Spoiler:

http://fsphoto.net63.net

Messaggio Da jkeny Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 10:11

grunter ha scritto:Thank you John, I'll give the usb adapter a try with my laptop.
Recently, cause I put the dac and other electronics far from my pc, I've replaced my 1.5m generic usb cable with a 3m Lyndy Usb Gold and I haven't noticed sound differences.
Yes, because the DAC32 is not powered from Vbus it will be immune to how the +5V wire is isolated from the signal wires in the USb cable, so most USB cables will sound the same. But there is more to it than just the shielding - it would seem. Try the USB adapters (you will need both types) & tell us your results.

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da donluca Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 11:27

I'll give the straight adapter a try too Wink
donluca
donluca
Membro classe argento
Membro classe argento

Numero di messaggi : 3781
Provincia : Roma
Occupazione/Hobby : Visionario informatico
Impianto :
Spoiler:

http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net

Messaggio Da Edmond Dantes Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 12:34

Hi John, have you planned something new related to the new Hi-Face Two?

Regards,
Edmond Dantes
Edmond Dantes
Affezionato
Affezionato

Numero di messaggi : 244
Impianto : Sistema alta efficienza multiamplificato, giradischi e lettori digitali vari.

Messaggio Da jkeny Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 15:46

Edmond Dantes ha scritto:Hi John, have you planned something new related to the new Hi-Face Two?

Regards,
M2tech haven't even started shipping the Hiface 2 yet Laughing

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da Edmond Dantes Mer 28 Mar 2012 - 17:13

Nice humor, John............ Laughing
Well, I will wait for my M2Tech Hi-Face Two and then I'll ask you again........... Hehe
Edmond Dantes
Edmond Dantes
Affezionato
Affezionato

Numero di messaggi : 244
Impianto : Sistema alta efficienza multiamplificato, giradischi e lettori digitali vari.

Messaggio Da jkeny Dom 1 Apr 2012 - 12:43

This review is not by John Darko but Clive Meakins from EnjoytheMusic

Excerpt:
1st Place: JKDAC32
These three DACs sound so good - a couple of years ago you couldn't have dreamt of achieving the quality we have here with any of these three for less than something like $10,000 or probably rather more. There has to be a winner, it is the JKDAC32. The JKDAC32 sports the now familiar aluminum enclosure with plastic end plates, NanoPhosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, modified 24/192 HiFace async USB to I2S. This time the I2S feeds a Burr Brown PCM5102 32/384 capable DAC. I should mention that with this DAC you may find you need to flick the on-off switch in the front panel to reset the DAC itself if no music pays, the USB connection is fine, it's a foible of the configuration.

Bass is very impressive, the equal of the Halide DAC HD, so it's got a great bass dynamic, it goes deep, it's tight, textured, indeed it's really propulsive. Where the JKDAC32 wins extra points is that the upper-mid and treble are sweeter yet still very detailed. This is no treble cover-up job! The next thing that struck the auditioning panel was the separation between the instruments; this was a step ahead of the best of the other DACs being tested here. Imaging was found to be very three dimensional and we agreed there was an especially strong focus for the central image whilst the expansive nature of the soundstage was maintained.

The best DAC here? The panel was unanimously in favor of the JKDAC32. So much so that the owner of the Rega sold it the next day. He purchased a JKDAC32. So have I.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0412/usb_dac_shootout.htm

jkeny
Interessato
Interessato

Messaggio Da grunter Dom 1 Apr 2012 - 16:05

Vado a leggere il resto della recensione, ma quanto ho letto non fa che suonarmi molto, molto familiare. Mi ci ritrovo in pieno.
Oki
grunter
grunter
Membro classe argento
Membro classe argento

Numero di messaggi : 3935
Provincia : PT
Occupazione/Hobby : Informatica e Fotografia
Impianto :
Spoiler:

http://fsphoto.net63.net

Messaggio Da robertopisa Gio 5 Apr 2012 - 17:00

I tried the USB adapter vs a short cable (15cm) that I carefully assembled in 4 hours. I tried to keep the capacity at a minimum: no way, the adapter gives more bass and defined soundstage.

Sad at this point... I want to understand why.... also, using adapters is not practical, we should find an equivalent way...

This also means that USB is not the way to go for high-performance DACs.

-Roberto

jkeny ha scritto:
-R

robertopisa
robertopisa
Membro classe bronzo
Membro classe bronzo

Impianto :
premi per vedere: